Bailout Recipients Hosted Call To Defeat Key Labor Bill
This story is unbelievable. Bank of America hosted a conference call with US financial businesses and companies to discuss the coming labour legislation and how they plan to deal with using public money to lobby and support key Republicans in close races along with a host of other PR actions .
This conference call should be a real wake up call for anyone in North America who thinks private companies involved in Public and Private Partnerships (P3s) actually give a shit about their employees. If you listen carefully you can hear them talk about employees as if they were assets, not people.
On January 27 2008 – The Huffington Post ran a story by Sam Stein titled “Bailout Recipients Hosted Call To Defeat Key Labor Bill“. The story included around five minutes of an hour long recording between federal bailout funds recipients. The call shows the firms to be involved in lobbying, effectively, with public money. The file released here is the full hour long recording .
The summary below is excerpted from Mr. Stein’s story:
- Three days after receiving $25 billion in federal bailout funds, Bank of America Corp. hosted a conference call with conservative activists and business officials to organize opposition to the U.S. labor community’s top legislative priority.
- Participants on the October 17 call — including at least one representative from another bailout recipient, AIG — were urged to persuade their clients to send “large contributions” to groups working against the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), as well as to vulnerable Senate Republicans, who could help block passage of the bill.
- Bernie Marcus, the charismatic co-founder of Home Depot, led the call along with Rick Berman, an aggressive EFCA opponent and founder of the Center for Union Facts. Over the course of an hour, the two framed the legislation as an existential threat to American capitalism, or worse.
- “This is the demise of a civilization,” said Marcus. “This is how a civilization disappears. I am sitting here as an elder statesman and I’m watching this happen and I don’t believe it.”
- Donations of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars were needed, it was argued, to prevent America from turning “into France.”
- “If a retailer has not gotten involved in this, if he has not spent money on this election, if he has not sent money to [former Sen.] Norm Coleman and all these other guys, they should be shot. They should be thrown out their goddamn jobs,” Marcus declared.
At one point they discuss how these “new” rules may impact businesses and their top three concerns are: work rules, health care costs and pensions! Speaks volumes for the people involve in our North American democracies not doesn’t it!
Here are a couple of website mentioned by the consultants in hte conference call designed to “inform” and “educate” workers and businesses about the dangers of democracy: